Saturday, December 20, 2008

VACATION!!!

This is the first day of my 2 week vacation. I made it. So far I'm enjoying it. It is a bit after 8:30am, and I have had my first cup of coffee, cruised several of the journals I read, taken a shower and cleaned up, and my second cup of coffee is brewing. I had thought a bit about doing some traveling now that I have the Jeep, driving no where in particular with my hiking/camping gear. However, other issues have intruded.

At 3pm on Thursday, a broadcast email from our Project Manager at work notified us all that there will be a mandated reduction in personnel on January 9. No other information. Anything after that is all speculation. This was not a total surprise. Upper level folk have been taking positions on other contracts for a couple of months now. There has been a migration of people to the positions supporting combat troops down range. None of these people have been replaced with new hires. The writing has been there.

I had decided that I would just ride this train till it ran out of track. For one thing, it's not like I have pressing opportunities elsewhere. I am undecided if I want to look for another contract in military support. Another year at my nice salary would make a huge difference in my ability to take off and do whatever I want for awhile, but I am more or less ok now. With the notice given at work I have decided to stay home and get the things done that have needed doing for awhile now. The good part of this is that I tend to get comfortable. It takes something like staring unemployment in the eye again to light that fire under my butt to get me moving.

For the moment now, I have a warm house, affectionate cats who have food, water, and a nice mechanical litterbox, and pretty much everything I need to be healthy and happy. I am moving from a position of strength, and I am grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, military work, eh? Sounds grim. But CATS!!! Thank god for cats!!!

    ReplyDelete