Saturday, April 28, 2012

Weekend

I'm down in the Capital again. Took a weekend off. Mostly I need to go shopping. I need a propane canister stove, two burner type. If I can't find what I want here I'll order one. I want something I can use back home when car-camping. I also need a few more curtains. And, I need a few other odds and ends. I will head out in a while and check out some of the stores around the outside of the mall that I haven't ventured out to yet. I'm feeling more comfortable around here, so I feel I can venture further out.

I'm looking for a replacement for Google on all fronts. I use dogpile.com as my search engine. I don't know that they mask my personal search history from Google, but they also search a few other engines at the same time. I have my email accounts set up on Mail.com and Zoho.com, just need to start moving my traffic over there.

Moving my blog is taking a bit more research. I've gandered at Wordpress and Typepad. I've also started looking at opensource software to load onto an old website that I only use for the email address currently. I pay $30/mo just to have my domain and website sitting there, I should get back to using it. I say I'm a geek. This shouldn't be rocket science. So, any geeks out there have any suggestions?

I started copying my old LiveJournal blog into a LibreOffice document (opensource version of office suite software, which is free...), and am back to sometime in 2009 so far. I need to clean it up and actually copy the pictures into the document instead of the links to PhotoBucket that I use online. I stopped using LiveJournal because I had to pay $25/year to keep advertising off it. That is one thing I wouldn't have to worry about if I host it myself.

Sweater is coming along. I looked up and can get another skein of yarn to match the main color if I run too close. It's more expensive to order from Lion Brand directly than it was to buy it form (I think) Hobby Lobby, but I can get it at least. I'm finding all kinds of fun video tutorials on YouTube. I want to make socks and tailored sweaters with no seaming, and all that fun stuff. The hammock is another story. I am still needing to finish it. I guess my enthusiasm is just gone on that one. Then again, I'm still carting around a really pretty angora sweater that I started in high school (maybe jr. high?) that just needs the side seams sewn on it. 40 years. Yeah. The yarn I'm making up into afghans and baby stuff is also from at least that long ago. I'll get it all finished at some point.

3 comments:

  1. I think if I was younger I would be more apt to find a suitable new blogging program, but they all look like too much work to change to at this point. Blogspot is difficult to let go of because it's fairly easy to get around in - that is, until they make you use the new interface. From what I've seen of that I don't know if I can deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know I am computer challenged so all that you mention is Greek to me.

    I tried downloading that office suite you mentioned for my netbook but I don't know where it went!! Lol, I am a lost cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pay $30/mo just to have my domain and website sitting there, I should get back to using it. I say I'm a geek. This shouldn't be rocket science. So, any geeks out there have any suggestions?

    I am far from being a Geek. Having said that, I wrote ALL of my web site in self taught HTML and currently have it hosted by Yahoo. From what you have said in the past this should not be nearly the challenge for you that it was for me. I say write your own Blog Format and use the website you are paying for.

    ReplyDelete