My Home

My Home

Saturday, October 20, 2012

More details

My upstairs neighbor came home (thank you God) and told me what happened. It was in a fireworks factory in the middle of town... and they were working to make fireworks for the next couple of months when people will be setting them off almost constantly. Someone made a spark, and the whole place went up. It also flattened 3 houses next to it and blew the roofs off others. 3 young men were badly burned, 2 may be dead (unsure if that is 2 of the injured or 2 others as well) including the owner.

My upstairs neighbor is a retired RN from the US who came down here 4 years ago with the Peace Corp. Since they pulled out last January he lives here and volunteers at an orphanage here in town. I didn't know where the orphanage was in relationship to the smoke and explosion, and in fact they were fairly close to it. Luckily no one there was hurt nor was there any damage.

Honduras, where they put fireworks factories in the middle of town...

4 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to find out what happened. Relieved that it was a stupid accident rather than political unrest. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about those who died and or are badly injured.

    I do not know why this happens quite a bit in central america. Yet they do not seem to learn their lesson, not to have these factories in the middle of town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of a sad commentary on this world that with everything from a backfire to a genuine explosion our minds automatically, and legitimately, go to some sort of assault.

    It's good to know that this particular sadness was indeed an unintended accident.

    Either way... you watch your six!

    ReplyDelete