Sunday, December 01, 2019

Belated Happy Thanksgiving

I am now moved down to the Valley (Phoenix metro) and this year started living in the same park as Jim and Sandie Dixon.  It is good to have friends close by.  This year I have been having a bit of mixed feelings around not feeling a center, or home.  Probably because while I'm in the same area I've lived in for 3 years, within a few mile radius, this is a new park for me.  I don't want to go back to my summer location, but here doesn't feel quite 'right'.  That feeling is getting less as I spend time here and walk around for exercise in the park while meeting and talking to those who are outside.  I'm starting to think I need to really explore the idea of a more permanent base camp.  Not sure what that looks like right now.  It is more a direction to look into for a long while.

Bosley is happy being back where it is warm(er).  He naps in the windshield area again.  He seems content enough living his life in the motorhome.  I wish he was more able to tolerate a harness so I could take him outside.  He laid forlornly on the floor and didn't move for almost 12 hrs. last time I put a harness on him.

My immediate goals for now are to continue to comb through my possessions and winnow them down.  Also I am still trying to get into cooking for myself, healthy if possible, foods that are less carbohydrate filled.  It is not easy for me.  I hope to cut up a potato and put it in the air fryer to see how 'roasted' veggies might work.  If that works, next up will be a sweet potato.  Along with it I'll have a pork chop.  I'm getting good at pork chops in my small skillet, and for breakfast bacon and eggs in the same skillet.  I do know 'how' to cook.  Finding things I 'will' cook is the problem.

I went on Medicare today, December 1.  I turn 65 later this month.  I have Medigap Plan G insurance as well as Plan D prescription.  I will contact Mayo soon to make appointments I've put off while I was on insurance they didn't recognize.  I made it through the year and a half between COBRA insurance and Medicare using the Affordable Care Act subsidized insurance, but I didn't want to fall into the abyss of finding doctors and networked care unless something major happened.  Mexico for my one prescription and ignore the small aches and pains.  In January I will find out if that was a good long term plan or not  

4 comments:

  1. Good to see a post from you again. I guess we are both at that stage in life where we need to dwindle down our possessions. I always seem to put it off in particular my stuff in Houston.

    Congratulations on going on Medicare. I have never looked forward to turning 65 so much just so I can have insurance coverage but I still have a couple of years to go. Hope I can make it without something major turning up between now and then.

    Mexico has served me well but I hate the long lines and this time of year it is on both sides of the border. Two to three hours to cross the International Bridge is not my idea of fun.

    I skipped Thanksgiving again this year but hope you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to get an update. I turned 65 about a month ago. Signed up for basic, no-frills Medicare. Very confusing program options I still need to figure out. Happy Late T-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost you for a bit. Glad you're on Medicare and supplement. Much better. I'm learning to cook too. Have to watch my carbs and sugar. Hope your new place grows on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on Medicare for a long time now and I have always been very happy with it. I also have my BlueCross/Blue Shield, and the two work together very well.

    I left the vagabond lifestyle over ten years ago and have never missed living in an RV. I do miss not driving anymore, but that's because of my eyes, so enjoy moving about as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete