Saturday, October 02, 2010

Bumm er

My netbook crashed.  I think the hard drive is toast.  It wanted to download 52 updates last night.  I figured that since I'm out of the country I should update it.  This morning it's toast.  It was the one that I didn't back up.  The only thing I'll lose if I load the last image is a secure login to a chat room that I actually would start using.  At this point I'm not sure if it's hardware, or a virus/trojan that came in on the download.  I do have a current backup image of this computer.  It just doesn't have a camera for my skype calls.  Then again, considering how I tend to look lately, that isn't all bad.

I have not gone out of the room except for breakfast.  They did a good job of loading me up with fear.  Tomorrow I will get a cab and go back to post and do laundry, buy a cell phone, and also buy a coffee maker, as well as find the ATM that gives local money.  I'm hoping that the restaurant downstairs will take American money for supper tonight.  I'm frustrated at being so new.  My negative coworker looked at me yesterday and said 'Everyone's giving you a year...' like that was some kind of put down.  Hell, he and his wife are planning on leaving after 6 months.  Basically, I'm just frustrated.  But, I'm warm/cool enough, dry, and definitely well-fed at this point, so all is good.  The hotel guys brought me a small fridge.  The outlet near the TV apparently doesn't work since the TV is on a small lamp-type extension cord.  So, he got a computer-type outlet strip, and added the fridge on the same extension cord.  sigh...

3 comments:

  1. Trying to figure how to post, to report I am now caught up on reading the recent blogs. I regret I wasn't reading this blog during the last few weeks. Your candid reporting is an enjoyable read. TL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry bout your netbook computer.. What is your voltage down there? could a surge have knocked it out?
    And I betcha they take your American money just fine for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TL, glad you caught up. I'm trying to write about the experience since I finally now have something potentially interesting to write about.

    ReplyDelete