Saturday, February 03, 2018

Maiden Voyage

Yesterday I went kayaking in my inflatable kayak for the first time. I met a new friend from RTR at Canyon Lake around 10am. He has a hard sided kayak, and is more experienced than I am. I made a lot of beginner, in a hurry not checking details type of mistakes, but even with that I enjoyed it. There weren't a lot of people around, probably because the road out there is in really bad shape due to road construction. Once we got back in the cove, though, there were several folks in kayaks paddling about. After about 2 hours I could tell my arms were going to just get weaker, so we headed in. I was also sitting in water for a couple of reasons to do with seat placement and forgetting to put the rings on the paddles to stop water from running down the shaft into the boat while paddling. It was a really nice day, not much wind and mostly sunny with just enough cloud cover to keep the sun from being too bright. As we bobbed along slowly, leaned back using the front of the kayaks to rest our feet in the sun, we wondered why anyone lives anywhere else. Happy Groundhog Day.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

6 comments:

  1. I have never been in a kayak, but have owned a few canoes. My old Old Town was really touchy and would turn over very easily. But I was brought up in it and never had a problem. I did after awhile strip the canvas off it and fiber glassed the hull. Less upkeep but the interior was still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayaking is a great sport for keeping fit but you have to take your time. You have to build up your endurance with time. Your arms are probably telling you so now.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how are the arms today? You didn't drown so I figure you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time you had and getting out in you kayak with friends is a really good way to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was fun and the exercise is good for you. Wonder how you feel now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left my kayaks home, no room even for my new blow up kayak. Next trip I will make the room. Glad to hear you started kayaking, it so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete