Thursday, April 07, 2011

It happened again

One of my co-workers was robbed/assaulted at 5:30 pm in the main park square last night.  He is ok.  In fact, after having a knife waved in his face (he was sitting on a bench with his local Honduran girlfriend) and tossing his wallet at the guy, he followed him and tackled him and held him down till the police got there.  There are a more than a few things wrong with this.  One, he was bitten.  Chances of getting a blood test done on the guy are basically nil.  This guy will not be happy when he gets out of jail, which he will if he's not out already.  This is why I don't go out.  You remember the pictures I posted of a park when I first got here?  That's where it happened.  At least this coworker wasn't sliced with a machete as the previous one was. That assault happened at 10:30 am on a Sunday. That person left the contract for someplace safer (the Philippines),

I go to work, I come home.  The taxi drivers I use are mostly the same ones.  Tonight one of the guys from work gave me a ride home.  He has been here for a year and a half.  He said everyone who has been here over a year has been robbed, and usually it happens at least once a year.  He himself was robbed while waiting for the free bus to work.  That is why I don't take a bus to work.  He also said his Honduran girlfriend has been robbed twice in the past 2 years.

 Mostly its the town where I live.  I feel safe other places here.  And the majority of the local people are wonderful, friendly folks.  It's the random violence that I just don't want to deal with, so I don't go out. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be glad when you're out of there - that's really frightening.

    ReplyDelete