Friday, October 21, 2016

If it isn’t one thing, it is another

As I mentioned, October has been medical tests month at Mayo Clinic for me.  I decided to go there because I was not happy with the group I chose last year. Prior to last year I had not been to a doctor for any routine tests in about 15 years. In passing I knew that they found ‘something’ on my routine mammogram last year, but they ALWAYS find ‘something’ which is ALWAYS just cysts.  I had asked to go straight to the ultrasound last year, but the radiologist refused.  I walked out.  I had all I could handle at the time getting my thyroid  issues worked out.  I was honest with the doctor at Mayo this year that there ‘might’ be an issue.  He had me in for the diagnostic 3D mammo on Tuesday last week, which morphed into an immediate ultrasound.  That morphed into a biopsy on Thursday.  Which ended up in a call on Monday telling me that yes, it is cancer.

I had the appointment with the cancer surgeon yesterday.  I’m lucky.  It is a small, ‘well behaved’ little tumor.  I’m having a lumpectomy on 10/31, and will have radiation for a few weeks afterwards.  Basically 2 weeks from mammogram to surgery.  They are efficient at Mayo.  I’m hoping to have a lot to celebrate in December when I have my next birthday.  I am now a member of the Big C club, but it seems that I’m getting off pretty lightly.  I am thankful.

If any of you can send healing thoughts and prayers my way on the 31st, I would appreciate it.  I’ll keep this journal updated as well.  I’m hoping that this will be  a very small blip in my life.

Mom finally gets her apartment today.  So, we will be moving her stuff during all this.  And, I still have my colonoscopy on Monday.  Mike is coming down to help with both events, driving me to and from the test and helping move Mom’s stuff. 

I will admit that it seemed disconcerting to suddenly see ‘Breast Cancer’ everywhere I looked after I got the call that I had it.  Then I realized it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month (day? week?) and it made sense.  I thought for awhile the Universe was trying to tell me something.

Fight Like A Girl!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you went for testing and it was caught early. Praying for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you have my well wishing thoughts and prayers. Glad to hear that you should be on your way to the life you plan soon. Take good care and find some fun and joy in each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Reader10/21/16, 12:45 PM

    Fingers crossed for you. Do you have people to take you to and from the hospital and your other appointments? Oh, yeah, Happy Halloween...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the club. Sorry it has to be this club. With your attitude you will do fine. The scare of it is worse than the treatment. Once you get started and there is no more unknowns, it will get easier. Two yr survivor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs and plenty of prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have my warmest thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heal quickly! Sending positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know you are high on our list for Positive Thoughts! Considering the other alternatives this is pretty darn good news. This little "blip" will be behind you before you know it and you can carry on with your retirement! See you before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are your own best friend.....best wishes dearheart x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending all my positive energy your way!

    ReplyDelete