Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Nearing the end

 Up until a week ago my almost 91 yo Mom was still driving.  Last Thursday I went up and took her shopping at Walmart.  Her legs were weak getting into and out of the car and I was hoping she would decide that it it time to give up the car.  I do almost all the driving now anyway.  She used the cart as a backup walker while we shopped but still walked on her own.

A friend talked to her on the phone Sunday night.  She didn't feel well and had a headache.  I went back up Monday, but when I tried to call to say I was coming she didn't answer her phone.  The door was still locked when I got there.  I let myself in and I processed she was on the floor in the bedroom as she said she thought she'd had a stroke.

Ambulance rides and ER and finding a bed for her down here in the Valley (Phoenix metro) and I got a call from the doctor at Banner Heart she had arrived.  When I went in next morning she was moving still and talking some.  By afternoon she wasn't responding to me or the nurses.

Heart attack, not stroke.  No course of action except hospice.  Today with the drugs to relax her she is just laying there brearhing.

While typing this I realized I no longer heard her breathing.  She's gone.


18 comments:

  1. My heart aches for you. But your mom got her wish - no nursing home. She died her way. No hugs but lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry. Losing a mother is so hard

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart."

    – Mahatma Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read this sad news. My deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deepest sympathy. Even though she was gone her spirit was with you. You are in our prayers and thoughts. Rick & Kathy Rousseau. It's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences. Hugs to everyone who knew and loved your mom. And really big hugs as you grieve, may you be showered with His Comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry for your loss, prayers for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the loss of your mom, cherish all the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so sorry for your loss. In our thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry about the loss of your Mother, she will live in your heart and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My deepest condolences. You are a good daughter and helped her greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peace be with you. May you be wrapped in comfort with wonderful memories of her & the love she gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Paula,
    ...I am so very sorry for your loss...
    Peace be with you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear this Paula. She was lucky, she lived a good, long life and was not made subject to nursing homes. My thoughts are with you. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sad to hear your Mother passed but thankful it was peaceful. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am deeply saddened by the loss of your Mom. Your devoted care for her over many years has been inspriring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very very sad news. You will miss her so much. My mom died Nov. 20. So many times I reach for the phone to call and tell her something. Kelly & Al

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to read this. Glad you were with her.

    ReplyDelete