Sunday, August 29, 2010

It may have just clicked

The following is copied from a blog I just found:
http://catchbobifyoucan.blogspot.com/2010/08/too-much-of-good-thing.html

-------
Pangloss:  "You have to get into the right frame of mind.  It's all about attitude.  It's about tuning your mind to appreciate what is going on around you.  All travel is really inward.  If you simply get on the Interstate and go 70 mph all day, you're not travelling.  You're just moving."

Candide:  "But, but, but.... how can I appreciate what's around me if it's not around me yet?"

Pangloss:  "Sigh.  You'll never even get to apprentice philosopher at this rate.  Being bored isn't a matter of going too slow.  It's a matter of not going slow enough."

Candide:  "Professor, this isn't slow.  This is stopped."

Pangloss:  "Ah, now we're getting somewhere.  And while we are stopped, you have to ask yourself:  'Is this all there is?'"

Candide:  "Not according to the map.  There's a lot more about 400 miles to the northwest..."

Pangloss:  "Is that all there is?"

Candide:  "Well, there's here, and there's there.  And there's a whole lot cooler than here...."

Pangloss:  "Sigh.  I don't know why I bother."

Candide:  "No bother at all, prof.  Here, have a beer.  Want me to drive?"

------

I know nothing about it, whether it's a quote from something that everyone but me recognizes, or if he wrote it himself.  However, I relate to Candide.

So, sit back, have a beer (or wine).  I'll drive.  Cause there's gonna be a whole lot cooler than here (well, not the temperature, but you know what I mean).

2 comments:

  1. "You have to get into the right frame of mind. It's all about attitude. It's about tuning your mind to appreciate what is going on around you. All travel is really inward. If you simply get on the Interstate and go 70 mph all day, you're not travelling. You're just moving."
    So true.... Always wishing you the best...
    Ara & Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a conversation between characters in Voltaire's Candide.

    ReplyDelete