Wednesday, May 29, 2013

And More ...

Since I'm sitting at home pondering I am taking the opportunity to re-read Walden by Thoreau on-line. This is one of my favorite books. Here are some quotes, and how I'm applying them to my current life:

To be a philosopher is not merely to have subtle thoughts, nor even to found a school, but so to love wisdom as to live according to its dictates, a life of simplicity, independence, magnanimity, and trust. It is to solve some of the problems of life, not only theoretically, but practically...

I do pretty well solving my lifestyle problems theoritically. The practical part is where I fall down. I want few possessions, but it seems that every time I turn around I 'need' to go purchase something else to do what I'm trying to do. Whether it is make use of my older laptops, or take lunches in to work rather than running out for fast food. In the long run I know these things will cost less. Right now it just seems that I'm always pulling out the debit card for something. It especially is frustrating since I have a lot of these things that I'm paying storage on in MO. To get those things to me here also will cost money. It is a constant battle in my mind on what is the best course of action.

I also have in my mind that seemingly wealthy, but most terribly impoverished class of all, who have accumulated dross, but know not how to use it, or get rid of it, and thus have forged their own golden or silver fetters.

This unfortunately is my life in a nutshell. I am fettered by the storage units, a house I can't live in, and yet I'm still acquiring stuff.

Let him who has work to do recollect that the object of clothing is, first, to retain the vital heat, and secondly, in this state of society, to cover nakedness, and he may judge how much of any necessary or important work may be accomplished without adding to his wardrobe.

This is one area I'm good in. I have A LOT of clothes. That is what most of the Jeep was filled with. Luckily my new job isn't one where I am face to face with clients. The clothes I bought to wear in Honduras work well in Phoenix. I am not even tempted anymore to buy clothes.

So these are the issues I'm thinking about. I do have projects I can and need to do. I have the sweater to finish knitting, Linux to install on a couple of my laptops. There are places in town I can go and wander around and I can take pictures and update this blog. I'm sitting home spinning in circles instead. I'll come out ok. I'm just really trying to take advantage of this turning point in my life to head in the direction I want to end up.

3 comments:

  1. Thoreau seemed to know what he was talking about. His words are as true today as when he wrote them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too hard on yourself. You have come through a drastic life change - living in the U.S. after being in a totally different culture - and you are just going through the normal process of adapting. A bit part of your dilemma is no doubt coming from a society that can't afford to keep buying stuff they don't need, to one where marketing of goods and services is the siren song you hear everywhere. Let yourself adjust naturally and I don't think you will suddenly change to begin acquiring possessions just for the sake of having more of them.

    As one who spent 3 years in Ireland getting along with just what I needed, I faced a similar culture shock. I have reverted to the consumerism of the U.S. in part, but still retain my rejection of most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DD: He did indeed. There are many more quotes I could add that are also favorites and make me ponder each time I read them.

    Gypsy: Your offer is very kind. I'm making no plans past a week at a time for now. While there are things I wish I had, where I end up living will dictate when I end up going back and how much I bring here. The cultural issue is one part of this. Where I am in my life is another.

    ReplyDelete