Saturday, October 23, 2010

The other side

I'm glad I got the lists and noting of differences in my life out of the way.  I had a bit of a down week, physically.  I slightly pulled the muscle in my back that tells me I'm not taking care of myself.  I slept a lot in the evening, I got back on an even keel.  Now I'm ready to move forward.  I guess I needed the look back at what I left and the time to hold it up to where I am now.  Having done that, it's time to be proactive.

I put two of my smaller suitcases, the carry on and the small checked one (which isn't all that small) on the bed last night and emptied them out totally to see what I have here.  I found yet another couple of pairs of jeans.  What clothes I have here with me should be more than enough to get through this year.  I'm just deleting the sales email from Sierra Trading Post (which is actually a good discount clothing store on line) and REI without even opening them.  I have discovered that I think I brought 3 sweat shirts with me, and don't really need even one.  So they will either be sent back or given away.  I'm making notes on what things are in the process of being shipped here that I want to either get rid of or mail back almost immediately, and a list of things that I may use while I'm here but that won't go back with me.

I'm studying Spanish more on-line.  I can sometimes tell more or less what conversations are about now, but still can't follow well.  I'm almost second nature on the greetings and responses in Spanish.  My Spanish-speaking friends here are schooling me on those each day.  I also have started studying one of the books to start my Microsoft certifications again.  I kind of started that in WA, but the move interrupted it.  Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.  I do see that certifications will help me leverage this position down here into another OCONUS (Outside CONtinental US) job when this contract is over.  Not sure what I want to do, but should be in a position to take advantage of whatever is available if I can.

A great discovery this week is that the Mexican restaurant on post has SWEET TEA!!!  And it's good!  A taste of home.  They also have good cheap food.  It's an alternative to the DFac.  There is a couple of Honduran restaurants on post as well, and a goal is to try one of them next week.  And so, my focus goes from looking back to looking forward again.

2 comments:

  1. Glad things are working out for you down there. Your blogs have been very informative and enjoying. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I betcha that once you finally get to the big store you can get teabags and brew your own tea, use that coffee pot you got. :-)
    Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete