Sunday, May 08, 2016

The YouTube videos I used to fix the water inlet

There were 3 videos I used, each has their place.  No, I don’t do pretty links.

The first one basically shows that it really isn’t that difficult.  He isn’t a mechanic, obviously just a backyard fixer upper who managed to make the repair.  He gets lambasted a bit unfairly for not knowing the finer points.  My RV setup ended up being identical to his when I got the old flange removed.

https://youtu.be/Drqrgk2P6mk

This video really showed me the correct way to do the job.  I ended up with the exact brand of flange that he had which included all the necessary parts.  As an aside, Camping World doesn’t stock teflon tape.  I ended up taking Camping World’s stuff back and getting the correct part from Apache Junction RV, which is where Sandie told me to go in the first place.

https://youtu.be/womXq12jHF8

This video explains the parts an RV’er might want to carry along and use with the city water connection and why.  It was good for me to see some options as I go along.  Probably the most surprising was that the screen on the water input is just a rubber washer.  The previous videos made it sound like the screen only came as part of the primary assembly, as in ‘yeah, if mine had a screen it got lost a long time ago’ comments.  In this video he recommends carrying spares. 

https://youtu.be/Yl3ufV1bNQU

5 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I've enjoyed reading your blog for some time now. So glad you are doing what I eventually want to do when I get my kids out of the house!
    I have a 5th wheel and I want to encourage you to watch videos and read what others have done...You'll be surprised how easy a lot of the maintenance and repairs are to do. I fixed the roof leaks (Eternabond tape is your friend!), fixed gray tank leaks and numerous other problems related to poor workmanship from the manufacturer. It's all doable and with a little thought about how RVs work, you can probably fix it yourself a lot cheaper and better than the shop. I even fixed a leaky toilet myself and I know you can do it.
    You are going to have so much fun when you get on the road. I can't wait to hit the road myself! Good luck to you and I can't wait to see all of the places you go.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tube has saved us a lot headaches.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always grateful to the people who take the time to make youtube videos...somewhere out there is someone who has the exact same problem you have and they took the time to make a video of their fix. I used to be intimidated by mechanical fixes and I've learned that there are only so many "problems' that can happen and they can be tackled fairly simply if you have the right tools and basic knowledge. A little confidence always helps, lol.

      Delete
  3. You tube has saved us a lot headaches.



    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say, is thank goodness for how-to YouTube videos and the people who create them. At first, my husband would get aggravated with me when I would go online to find a solution for our vehicles, with the intent on him applying what he learned to fix the problem. We have saved a lot of money and learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete